Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thing #20 YouTube and Beyond


The video I chose to embed in my blog is called "Civil Rights and the 1950s." It is from the Crash Course video series on U.S. history. I chose it because the standard I am building my project around for this class is about the Civil Rights Movement, and also I really like the Crash Course videos. They are great for showing in the classroom as they are relatively short, factual, and use appropriate academic language.



I am already a frequent user of YouTube and there isn't really anything I actually dislike about the site. Other than the ads that play before the videos, but you can install Adblock from Google Chrome and that will block those annoying YouTube ads.
YouTube videos are terrific to incorporate into lesson plans as long as they are pre-screened by the teacher to ensure they are appropriate for classroom viewing.
 
One of the tools I liked is called TubeChop and it basically allows you to edit YouTube videos so you can show only the parts that are most relevant and suit your needs. This is a great tool to use in the classroom to trim down YouTube videos that are too long or that may contain certain parts that are unacceptable for classroom viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment