The sheer selection of Web 2.0 sites out there was a little daunting at first! I poked around a for a bit just to check out the all tools that are available. People could literally spend hours looking through them all if they had that kind of time to spare.
The tool I finally selected from the Go2Web2.0 site was Grammar Base, the "instant grammar checker" tool. I chose it because I think it can be a helpful site for students to use to check their assignments for errors before turning them in for a grade. The site says that it checks for: "grammar, punctuation, style, plagiarism, and contextual spelling."
What I like about the site is that it does what it claims to do. I typed in a few paragraphs with errors and it found the errors. Then I tried typing in several sentences that I knew were correct and the site gave me a message stating, "Congratulations! There are no critical mistakes in your writing", so I know it works.
I did not like that Grammar Base advertises itself as a "free" service, but then attempts to convince you to purchase their "professional proofreader service" for $15.45 per page (!) I understand they have to make money somehow, so I guess I cannot really fault them for trying.
While I like the site, (I might use it to check my research papers before submitting them) I don't think it would be a good tool for use in school, because it asks for a payment. However, I can see it being used in a public library setting.
No comments:
Post a Comment